In addition to formal schooling and medical training, there are certain skills and qualities that someone should have in order to excel as an x-ray technologist:
- Do you enjoy helping others?
- Are you interested in science and chemistry?
- Do you enjoy working with technical equipment?
- Do you have the physical ability to help position patients for x-rays?
- Do you feel comfortable working with machinery that emits radiation?
- Do you have good attention to detail?
- Are you able to work on your feet for long stretches?
- Are you courteous and professional?
- Are you sensitive to the needs of patients?
- Do you have good communication skills?
- Can you work well with others as part of a team?
- Can you maintain patient confidentiality?
If you answered yes to most or all of these questions, then a job as an x-ray technologist might be the career choice for you. For more information, see the x-ray technologist job description and salary figures, or explore x-ray tech training.